How To Make Healthy Tomato Sauce

Tomato Sauce or “Ketchup” is the most commonly used condiment in the UK, aside from salt. It is used more frequently than both pepper and vinegar, and is an uncompromisable feature at many dining tables across the country. We’ve even heard of people packing ketchup with them in their suitcases when they go abroad, the fear of having a meal without it is so strong. But is it really healthy? 

Is Tomato Sauce Healthy?

A bottle of ketchup may look like the inside of a tomato in colour and may have the word tomato plastered across the packaging and label; but inside the bottle there is more than just crushed tomatoes.

In fact, the minimum level of tomato content that is required for a bottle of ketchup to be recognised as ketchup is just 41%. Which leaves space for 59% of other “stuff”; and it is actually this other stuff that is the reason why many weight and health experts recommend ketchup is only consumed in small, moderate amounts.

The average tablespoon of ketchup contains around 25 calories, and with 23% of the tablespoon being sugar, it is recommended that you avoid classic ketchup brands as they do little for you when you are trying to eat healthy and lose weight. 

All is not lost though, as there are much healthier ways of getting your tomato sauce fix, by making tomato sauce yourself, and below we have shared our favourite Tomato Sauce recipe. It’s really simple to make too.

Healthy Tomato Sauce Recipe

The important thing to remember when you make your own healthy tomato sauce, is that it does not have the shelf life of a bottled tomato ketchup. The below tomato sauce recipe, if kept refrigerated with only last around 5-7 days, but it tastes fantastic.

To make this healthy tomato sauce you will need:

  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • ½ a red onion (minced)
  • 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes in juice
  • 3 tablespoons of dry red wine
  • ½ a teaspoon of dried oregano
  • ½ a teaspoon of dried basil
  • a sprinkle of salt (to suit taste)

How to make healthy tomato sauce?

In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, for about 7 minutes.

Stir in tomatoes and juice, wine, oregano, and basil. Simmer for 8 minutes or until lightly thickened. Season with salt to taste.

Got a better home-made ketchup recipe, let us know

Tag us in on social with your ketchup recipes and creations.

Shop The SauceSteam Squeezer